Amanda’s Special Lamb Shanks
As promised (and apologies for the delay) this is Amanda’s recipe for delicious lamb shanks using the Margaret River Silk Road Mulberry Syrup. Ingredients are listed in the order of use.
My favourite way to serve is with grilled polenta and greens on the side (eg: broccolini; asparagus; beanettes). Enjoy… and stay posted for more recipes!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground salt
- 6 lamb shanks (more if you prefer French-Trimmed)
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 whole “single clove” garlic (chopped) or use about 6 cloves of normal garlic
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup shiraz wine
- 1 cup MRSR Special Mulberry Syrup
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup dried tarragon
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon for garnish
- Beat eggs. Add pepper, salt and cayenne. Dip shanks into egg mixture then coat in flour.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based pot with a lid. Brown the shanks, a few at a time and put aside until casserole mix is ready.
- In the same pot, soften the onion and garlic on low heat.
- Add the vinegar, Shiraz, Mulberry Syrup, stock and dried tarragon. When warmed, add the shanks, spooning the liquid over the meat.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook as long and slow as possible on low heat (great if you have a simmer tray and can cook even longer and slower!)
- When meat is falling off the bone, serve with grilled polenta, mashed sweet or plain potato, or pasta – with some green vegetables for colour.